Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kafka's Diaries

Sometimes Kafka deliberately shut himself off from the world, but he was always a hermit inside his own head.  A letter, then excerpts from his diaries:


My Max
I am in such a bad way that I think I can only get over it by not speaking to anyone for a week, or as long as may be necessary. From the fact that you won’t try to answer this postcard in any way, I shall see that you are fond of me.
Your Franz

March 17 1914
Sat in the room with my parents, leafed through magazines for two hours, on and off simply stared before me; in general simply waited for ten o'clock to arrive and for me to be able to go to bed.

June 6 1914
'Don't you want to join us?' I was recently asked by an acquaintance when he ran across me alone after midnight in a coffee-house that was already almost deserted. 'No, I don't,' I said.


August 3 1914
Alone in my sister's apartment. It is lower down than my room, it is also on a side street, hence the neighbours' loud talking below, in front of their doors. Whistling too. Otherwise complete solitude. No longed-for wife to open the door. In one month I was to have been married. The saying hurts: you've made your bed, now lie in it. You find yourself painfully pushed against the wall, apprehensively lower your eyes to see whose hand it is that pushes you, and, with a new pain in which the old is forgotten, recognize your own contorted hand holding you with a strength it never had for good work. You raise your head, again feel the first pain, again lower your gaze; this up-and-down motion of your head goes on without pause.

Kafka's fiction reflects the sentiments in these diary entries.  His protagonists are loners who are ostracized from a society they do not understand.  Outcasts.  Unwilling misfits.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. K. seems a little tortured by his solitude...or at least to have an anxious relationship with it. In his books, there's a little more sense that he has launched a boat on the sea of his interiority and that the ship sails gently there...which I like.

    ReplyDelete